It’s been a little over a week since I’ve finished a 30 day grain, sugar, dairy, legume – free diet, just to get my mind back into the healthy-eating mindset. So where do I go from here?
Last Thursday I caught a stomach bug- ew- and on Friday and Saturday, the only thing I could keep down was white rice and white bread. Well, Sunday and Monday I paid the price. I felt super gassy and bloated, and hungry. I never really planned to add grain or gluten back into my diet, but after this weekend, my decision is final!
Dairy is a different story. I love full-fat cheese and butter. I’ve not noticed any problem in my body since adding it back into my diet and I’ve come this far with dairy as my friend, so I plan to use it in moderation.
All that to say, this vegetarian “sushi” I created for lunch yesterday was so perfect! All the green made me smile and of course I’m happy to have that cheese back in my life. The avocado and cream cheese take the protein roll and the cucumber and carrots are not only for looks. My body thanks me every time I eat colorful meals!
Vegetarian Cucumber Roll
- 1 long english cucumber
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced thin
- 1/2 large carrot, julienned or cut into small strips
- 2 oz full-fat cream cheese, cut thinly into aprrox. 8 pieces
Rinse the english cucumber and pat dry, then, using a potato peeler, carefully run the blade down the english cucumber- length wise. Using the previous peel as a guide, continue to slowly peel down the cucumber until you have 8-10 slices.
Place a single cucumber slice on a paper towel and press dry, then assemble avocado, carrot strips, and cream cheese at one end of the cucumber, then, roll the cucumber from the filling side up until completely rolled. They should stay together well, if not, secure with a tooth pick! Continue until you have used all ingredients, drying each cucumber strip on a paper towel as you go.
Serve with your favorite soy sauce substitute and enjoy!
Kaitie Holley, housewife
Recipes featured: oven roasted nuts, homemade ranch dip, Apple Juice chicken (oatmealwithafork.com), cauliflower fried rice
Hi ho! Hi ho!
Back to work again! I nanny a sweet little boy Wednesday-Friday from 7am-3pm. I am gone half the day so I need to grab a quick breakfast in the morning and pack a lunch. Today through Friday I will include “to-go” meals that may take a little bit of prep, but are easy to pull together and stay yummy until lunch time!
- Green Smoothie: spinach, pineapple, peach, banana and canned coconut milk
- oven roasted cashews, pecans, and almonds– I made these at the beginning of the week because I knew I would need something to grab on my way out during the week. I roasted them in the oven at 350°, on a cookie sheet with olive oil and sea salt.
- Hard boiled eggs- easy to put on the stove while getting ready and come back to before leaving.
- raw carrots, peppers, and blueberries
Homemade Ranch Dip:
- 1/2 cup homemade mayo
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- a pinch of black pepper
Chop 1 small head of cauliflower into florets. Add to a large blender and cover with water. Pulse until cauliflower looks like rice. Strain “rice” and press dry with layers of paper towels! (see video on my facebook)
Cauliflower Fried “Rice”:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion-chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower- riced
- frozen peas and carrots- thawed
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat, add chopped onions and sauteé until they are tender. Add riced cauliflower and cook until cauliflower is tender. Turn burner on high heat and add peas, carrots, and coconut aminos and cook 5 minutes more while stirring.
Recipes featured: chicken salad
Kept it pretty simple today! Mostly just a mishmash of yummy things for each meal.
Dinner was packed up and reheated and just as good out of the microwave as it was from the pan(:
- peppered scrambled eggs with spinach- Don’t judge, I ❤ spinach.
- apple slices and almond butter (no sugar added and dry roasted)
- hot Caramel Chai herbal tea
- Chicken Salad: pan fried chicken breast, homemade mayo, mustard, smoked paprika, garlic salt, celery, grapes, and pecans
- Pan fried sweet potato and 2 Applegate Naturals beef hot dog
- balsamic peppers and onions: 1 tbs olive oil, 1tsp balsamic vinegar, italian seasoning, and salt
- Coconut sparkling water